Everything You Need to Know About Lichen Planus & Homeopathic Remedies | Sanjivani Homeopathy Diet and Yoga Clinic
Lichen planus is a skin rash triggered by the immune system. It’s not known why the immune response occurs. There may be several contributing factors, and each case is different. Potential causes include :
- Viral infections
Sometimes lichen planus occurs along with autoimmune disorders. While it may be uncomfortable, in most cases lichen planus is not a serious condition. It’s also not contagious.However, there are some rare variations of the condition that may be serious and painful.
The signs and symptoms of lichen planus vary depending on the areas affected. Typical signs and symptoms are :
- Purplish, flat bumps, most often on the inner forearm, wrist or ankle, and sometimes the genitals
- Blisters that break to form scabs or crusts
- Lacy white patches in the mouth or on the lips or tongue
- Painful sores in the mouth or vagina
- Hair loss
- Change in scalp color
- Nail damage or loss
- purplish-colored lesions or bumps with flat tops on your skin or genitals
- lesions that develop and spread over the body over the course of several weeks or a few months
- itching at the site of the rash
- lacy-white lesions in the mouth, which may be painful or cause a burning sensation
- blisters, which burst and become scabby
- thin white lines over the rash
The most common type of lichen planus affects the skin. Over the course of several weeks, lesions appear and spread. The condition usually clears up within 6 to 16 months. Less commonly, the lesions can occur in areas besides the skin or genitals. These may include:
- mucous membranes
- the scalp
Lichen planus occurs when immune system attacks cells of the skin or mucous membranes. It's not clear why this abnormal immune response happens. The condition isn't contagious.Lichen planus can be triggered by :
- Hepatitis C infection
- Flu vaccine
- Certain pigments, chemicals and metals
- Pain relievers, such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) and naproxen (Aleve, others)
- Certain medications for heart disease, high blood pressure or arthritis .
Doctor makes a diagnosis of lichen planus based on symptoms, medical history, a physical examination and, if necessary, the results of lab tests. These tests may include :
- Biopsy. Your doctor removes a small piece of affected tissue for examination under a microscope. The tissue is analyzed to determine whether it has the cell patterns characteristic of lichen planus.
- Hepatitis C test. You may have your blood drawn to test for hepatitis C, which is a possible trigger for lichen planus.
- Allergy tests. Your doctor may refer you to an allergy specialist (allergist) or dermatologist to find out if you're allergic to something that can trigger lichen planus.
- Other tests may be needed if your doctor suspects you have any of the several variations of lichen planus, such as the type that affects the esophagus, genitals, ears or mouth.
HOMOEOPATHIC MEDICATION FOR LICHEN PLANUS
This drug is indicated in plethoric persons, in the first stage of inflammation before localisation and exudation has occurred, and is marked by redness, dryness, heat and severe pains. Skin- Red, hot, swollen, dry, burning, shining.
Itching, burns after scratching > cold. Thick, brown, yellow crusts on scalp. Complaints caused by exposure to cold damp, rainy weather or sudden change of weather.
KALI BICH :
Discharge from mucous membranes which are adhesive, sticky, stringy, tough, lumpy or thick and yellow discharges.
JUGLANS CINEREA :
Itching burning > scratching. Itching and pricking when heated.
Good remedy for Lichen Planus with dry, rough, irritable skin. Suits people who are obese, chilly and have tendency of constipation.
ANTIMONIUM CRUDUM :
A leading remedy for Lichen Planus with eruptive papules, vesicles and pustules. Itching of eruptions at warmth of bed. Suits people who have great anxiety regarding their fate. Eruptions better at rest, open air and moist warmth.
ARSENIC ALBUM :
Superlative remedy for dry, rough, scaly, dirty, shrivelled skin in Lichen Planus. Ulcerative papules with burning, cutting pain and bloody discharge. Parchment like skin in extremely nervous, restless and anxious people. Aggravation of symptoms after midnight . Arsenicum album Greatly itching; In skin there is small purplish spot., there is blisters after scratching.
when blisters mostly appear in mouth. It is suited for Oral Lichen planus,with unhealthiness Of the skin.
- Skin is dry, scaly, and unhealthy; every little injury suppurates.
- Skin ailments are associated with lot of itching and burning that becomes worse on scratching and washing.
- Itching more in the evening.
- Skin excoriations especially in folds.
- Skin becomes dry and hard.
- Skin affections that develop after local medication.
- This remedy is more suited to thin and weak individuals who are very sensitive to heat.
- Mentally suited to people who are nearly always irritated and depressed. They are very forgetful. They are either too busy or they dare lazy and do not feel like doing work. Some of them may have a feeling that they are immensely.
APIS MELLIFERA :
There is burning and swelling in skin.Prickly heat; Lichen urticatus.
Red rashes, itching coming on when undressing.
NATRUM MUR :
Dry eruptions, especially on margin of hairy scalp and bends of joints. Itching skin, raw, red, and inflamed; worse, eating salt, at seashore.
Good for inveterate skin troubles and chronic stubborn skin conditions like lichen planus, psoriasis, eczema, warts, pyoderma, etc. Tendency to have unhealthy skin in general. These patients are better in dry weather and worse from humid climate and damp conditions.
ARSENICUM IODUM :
It is a very good remedy for skin conditions like lichen planus, eczema and psoriasis where there is marked itching and exfoliation of the skin. There is exfoliation of large scales which leaves behind raw exuding surface.
Itching, nettle-rash. Very sensitive to draught of air. Excoriation, especially around vagina and mouth.